Imagine the constant feeling of holidaying in our own place of residence!
We don’t need to travel far, we don’t have to spend a fortune, a simple drink or even a glorious meal becomes much more enjoyable because it doesn’t cost so much. And the people are just the nicest we have ever met in all our travels. They all have interesting stories to tell! They just love life to the fullest! And it is darn infectious!
We live in paradise…
…the time when pleasure boats are put in the water..
….when the authorities build swimming platforms for the locals to enjoy
..this is another swimming platform we tried yesterday. It’s next to the harbour.
– Are there a lot of fish?
– No, I’m catching some crabs! I’m going to use them for catching octopus! (Then he lead us to his car and showed his catch of crabs.)
– Wow! Are the octopus for your dinner?
– No, I sell them in the market.
– How much do they weigh usually?
– Well, depends on the season. In the winter, the octopus could weigh up to 3 kilos but in the summer, only 300grams,
– How much they sell for?
– Sometimes 30euros for a 3kg octopus…
(Wow! so in this island, you won’t starve, you just have to learn how to fish for food .. or for money!)
– Great catch! How many have you caught so far?
– Two! (and he showed us his bag containing the other fish.)
– Do you fish everyday?
– Yes, every morning! I’m here around 10am.
– How long do you have to wait before you can catch one?
– Four minutes..
– Okay, we’ll be back in four minutes! (Maria joking)
…when every passeggiata hour (evening promenade where the locals parade with their best clothes), even the pets join in the traditional walk..
…. when you have to hydrate yourself due to the heat, so listening to Health Digest’ advice, I’ve been making healthy and refreshing drink every day!
…when evening programs such as this are held very often!
..and jazz concerts
..and other ones that are held in amazing venues.
This one is in Latomia dei Capuccini, the remains of a quarry that was used since 6th century B.C.
to build the homes and monuments of Siracusa.
…. the time to go bar hopping for apperitivi! With lots of them spread all over town, we have to start finding the best spots!
And so far, this is the winner! With all this buffet of fingerfoods plus a drink, it only costs 3euros per person!
…when you make daily afternoon trips to the granita bar…this is Granita di Limone
And ever since I introduced it to H, he has become a convert!
Man #1: I love August!
Man #2: Me too! it’s the only month each year when I am excused to just sit and do nothing and the wifey never complains!
… when the supply and demand of mussels reach unprecedented heights!
….when in the midst of exploring places, we get to stumble upon marvelous spots like this one!
This is like a natural pool, we have to try it!, I cried.
So next week, we are spending the whole day here, can’t wait!
So temptingly good!
….It’s the time when prickly pears start to ripen..
…..when swimming in the sea is paradise, never mind the sunburnt skin..
…..it’s when talented street artists become the center of attraction…
…when stage platforms like the one on the left are built all over the town.
This one in the harbour becomes a hive of (show) activities every weekend nights…